They say true happiness comes from within, which means being happy when you’re alone instead of feeling lonely. But for some, that feels pretty much impossible. Dr. Nina Vasan explains that when you’re by yourself but connecting to others through good communication or activities like volunteering, you don’t feel lonely.
These techniques and expert-approved tips will help you fly - and thrive - solo:
- Develop a workout routine - Ever notice a boost in your mood after a brisk walk? Dr. Vasan explains that the feel-good endorphins that get released from exercising improve mood, plus the more you engage in physical activity and the better you get, that sense of mastery also boosts self-esteem and confidence, which leads to feeling happier.
- Stop comparing yourself to others - Comparing yourself to other people, especially on social media, can make you feel inadequate, anxious and lead to low self-esteem. The best way to get out of that negative headspace is to stop scrolling and remember we’re all on different paths.
- Curate hobbies - What do you do for you? Try revisiting an old hobby or finding a new one that sparks joy and stimulates creativity.
- Volunteer in your community - A study from 2020 finds that people who volunteer are happier than those who don’t, so find a cause you care about and dedicate time to giving back.
- Be bold and try new things - Make a list of things you’ve always wanted to try and step out of your comfort zone by trying them one by one.
- Put yourself first - Prioritize your wants and needs to fill your own cup first, so you’ll have space and energy for everyone else in your life.
- Get out in nature - Spending time outside leads to a more happy, relaxed state. According to one recent study, spending at least two hours a week in nature improves people’s health and overall wellbeing.
- Live in the moment - We tend to save life’s little luxuries - like pricey candles and fancy bottles of wine - for special occasions, but the true secret to being happier alone may be living your best life 24/7. So don’t wait for the special occasions, go ahead and enjoy the things that make your heart happy anytime you want to.