They chat about Connecticut Dairy farms, including the impact of the pandemic on farms, sustainability, and more.
Quick CT Dairy Facts
- There are nearly 100 dairy farms in Connecticut that produce more than 2 million glasses of fresh milk per day.
- 97% of Connecticut farms are owned and run by families, so when you drink fresh Connecticut milk, you are supporting farmer families.
- Connecticut milk gets from the farm to the fridge in about 48 hours.
- One glass of milk contains 13 essential nutrients including calcium, protein and Vitamin D
- Cow’s milk only has 3 simple ingredients: Milk, Vitamin A and Vitamin D
• Compared to 2007, producing a gallon of milk uses 21% less land, 30% less water and has a 19% smaller carbon footprint.
• By 2050, the U.S. Dairy industry will achieve carbon neutrality or better, while improving water use and quality.
The Importance of Animal Care
• Treating animals with respect and compassion is part of every dairy farmer’s heritage. Simply put, no dairy farmer can succeed without healthy and content cows.
• Farmers recognize that good animal welfare practices lead to the production of high-quality, safe and wholesome milk, and they’re constantly seeking ways to improve the comfort of their animals.
Learn more and find a local dairy farm near you at CTDairy.org