Governor Ned Lamont gave an update on the state’s latest response to COVID-19 at the State Armory Tuesday afternoon.
It's been less than 3 weeks since the first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in Connecticut and now cases have been reported in all eight counties.
Lamont announced the biggest jump in numbers so far Tuesday, 203 new cases in just one day.
As of Tuesday, a total of 618 confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Connecticut and so far 12 deaths: seven in Fairfield county, two in Hartford county and three in Tolland county.
According to Governor Lamont 10 out of those 12 deaths were people in their eighties.
“Older folks stay home just stay home, you’re most vulnerable, most likely to end up in the ICU, it’s the most dangerous,” Lamont said.
Lamont said 900 nurses are stepping out of retirement to assist hospitals as the number of cases rises and 300 of them are already working.
Currently, the highest age group of individuals diagnosed are people ages 50 to 59, with nearly 120 cases and not far behind are those between the ages of 40 to 49, followed by those between the ages of 60 to 69.
Although Lamont stressed an important message to young people saying, “You may not be fatal, but you are carriers and you can be contagious and it’s so important that you take this just as seriously and you stay home.”
From our partners at FOX 61
(photo: Getty Images)