As we wrap up 2019 and head into the new decade, a new wave of food trends will be coming our way. This year, oat milk, cauliflower pizza and probiotic foods were big and they’ll still stick around, but in 2020, there are more tasty trends ahead. So what will we be seeing on shelves and menus next year?Here’s what we can look forward to in the New Year:
- Plant-based meat- Following the success of Burger King’s Impossible Whopper, more restaurants have been adding plant-based proteins to menus and we’ll be seeing even more in 2020.
- Aronia berries- Trend forecaster WGSN predicts these berries, also called the Chokeberry, will be big next year. They look like a blueberry and are supposed to be tasty and packed with antioxidants.
- Ube [[OO-bay]]- This purple yam is big in Filipino cooking and its vibrant color has made it popular, but it’s delicious too, and is used in lots of desserts including ice cream and doughnuts.
- More spreads and butters- Beyond peanut butter, almond butter, and cashew butter, we’ll be seeing newbies like watermelon seed butter and macadamia nut butter in the coming year.
- More Kombucha- The fermented tea is very trendy and that’s not expected to change in 2020.
- Mocktails- With more people taking a break from booze, the sober curious lifestyle is becoming more popular, so we’ll be seeing more “dry” happy hours and mocktails. Cheers to no hangover!
- Nashville Hot chicken- The Tennessee specialty is gaining fans who love the deliciously spicy food.