A recent reveals something most of us have figured out over the years: men are not always so great at picking out presents. The research from StyleCard finds that almost half (42%) of women are stuck with a holiday gift from their partner that they don’t want. We could just suck it up and wear or use the thing we don’t like or we could return it for something we actually want, but that could definitely hurt his feelings. If you find yourself in this awkward position this holiday, here are some tips for taking back his gift and not ruining your relationship in the process.
- DO be grateful for the gesture- Even if he got you something truly awful, like a vacuum you didn’t ask for, it required thought and he deserves some positive acknowledgement for trying.
- DON’T lie when confronted- Be kind but honest if he asks where that heart necklace he bought you is. Because if you lie and say you lost it, he may run out and buy a replacement! So be gentle, even if you have to fib a little.
- DO be subtle about your return plans- It’s best not to make a big deal about returning his present to avoid hurt feelings.
- DON’T exchange his gift for something completely different- Try to stay within the same category as his idea, so no trading in those faux leather gloves for a purse.
- DON’T forget the positive reinforcement- When he nails it and gets you something you really like, even if it’s something you specifically asked for, lay the praise on thick. Expressing how much you love it could lead him to better gift buying in the future.
- DO leave some wiggle room -If he got a sweater you like in your size, but you’re not crazy about the color, maybe you can find it in your heart to keep it because your love outweighs the fact he chose blue over black. But all bets are off if it’s orange zebra print, because we all have our limits.