Pet Emergency Preparedness from our friend Eliot Russman of The Fidelco Guide Dogs
September is “National Disaster Preparedness Month” - Listen to our interview below!
Prepare a year-round disaster plan that includes your pets. It can save lives. And, be certain that everyone at home understands their role.
- Create a well-packed emergency kit NOW for each pet: current medications, water and food for at least 5 days.
- Place current vaccination records in the emergency kit.
- Keep travel crates handy for each pet – including dogs, cats and anything else that can walk or fly!
- Identify evacuation routes, and locate the emergency shelters in your area that allow pets.
- Practice the evacuation plan before the storm arrives. Actually load up your vehicle with pet crates, food, water and all family members to ensure that everything fits!
There are so many things to consider. Again, the most important step is the first step – create family EMERGENCY plan today. DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE! - Eliot Russman